Thursday, November 17, 2005

Ice-pick lobotomy

Recently I've had a number of riveting experiences with NPR. On Monday I was relieved, excited even elated to hear Steven Mintz, author of Huck's Raft (a comprehensive history of American childhood) insist that we need to give ourkids more freedom to explore, make mistakes, and work out differences if we want help them transition into responsible adults. Last week I heard a great little piece on language I will use next semester when I teach Melissa's "Language and Society" course: the impact of using insurgent vs. terrorist in Iraq. Then yesterday I ate my lunch in my car, nice warm sunning coming through the front window, as I listened to Frabrizio interview Doug Peacock author of Walking it off, friend of Ed Abbey, and the guy Abbey based his character Hayduke off of in The Monkey wrench gang; fascinating to find out Abbey used his Doug's green beret skills to do some real monkey wrenching.

But then yesterday a radio essay by Howard Dully blew me away (see his photo to the left). A harrowing tale of Dully finally coming to terms with the ice-pick lobotomy (two ice-picks shoved through the eye sockets into the frontal lob) he received at age 12. The story was so intense I forgot that I was driving; I winced; I held back tears; I was flabbergasted by the audacity of Dr. Walter Freeman who performed 223 of lobotomies in a one 2-week period, 2500 over his "career," and once, to impress the doctors and students of the simplicity of the procedure, he shoved both ice-picks in at once.

Dully comes to terms with his own lobotomy by interviewing other survivors and their families. Near the end of his journey he gains access to Freeman's medical records, hoping to find out why this was done to him as a boy. Here he finds a picture of himself with (incredibly) the ice-picks in. This picture and the info from the medical records helps him to at last confront his father--it's an amazingly complex riddled with ambiguity conversation.

5 comments:

lis said...

oh, I heard that story yesterday. wow. wow. I had one of those true "driveway" moments. I couldn't leave my car. What an incredible, horrifying story.

Btw, Doug Peacock is reading this Saturday at Ken Sanders.

Ron said...

Wasn't it amazing?!!

middlebrow said...

It was harrowing. Dr. Write and I have a copy of People magazine with pictures of the lobotomy.

Dr. Write said...

thanks for the link, Ron. MB told me about the story. I finally listened. I was bawling by the end. That's the best radio essay I've ever heard. Ever.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for listening please feel free to visit me @
http://howarddully.blogspot.com/

or write me @

howarddully@comcast.net

Howard Dully