Monday, April 09, 2007

St George weekend

It's been about three yrs since my wife and I have gotten away for the weekend sin hijos. Three yrs ago it was Colorado Springs, a great trip except for the uncontrollable shivering and forced oxygen at the top of Pikes Peak but that's a story for another post. This weekend we head to a closer less amazing, but hopefully enjoyable place: St George. I've been searching around for stuff to do. Certainly we will do some hiking at Zion's or maybe just locally at Snow Canyon Park. I'm also scoping out Joshua Tree Road, a 14 mile drive through the Mojave desert with spring flowers a blooming.

Any favorite non-golfing St. George activities? Restaurants? Shops? Anything??!! Please share as I coerced this trip out of my wife and now must make it work, i.e. be able to avoid the old, "So why exactly did we drive 5 hrs in order to see a movie we could have seen 5 minutes from our house?"

5 comments:

Clint Gardner said...

"Go out to the dunes and party dude!"
(I was told that years sog by a Dixie College Student.)

You should go over to Zion, for sure. It is not that far. You could also go to Tuweep (a lookout over the Grand Canyon) but that may still be snowed in.

Lisa B. said...

I think your zion's, etc. plans are key. There's a restaurant in Springdale, or there was, anyway, called . . . well, now it's the Spotted Dog cafe, but used to be called Flanigan's--I bet it's still good. http://www.flanigans.com/
Check in with assertively unhip--I bet she knows places to eat.

Dr. Write said...

I think a nice stroll. With the way the wind is blowing here today, all I can think is "warm, warm, warm." If there were a pool, I would sit by it.

Counterintuitive said...

If there's a pool I'd sit by it--I love that. So it might be ok to drive 5hrs just in orded to sit, talk and relax.

Dr. Write said...

Yes! I think that's what vacations are for. You go to be with the person, the place is a bonus. Of course if it is a place with a beach or great food, that's an added bonus.
I'm always amazed that when MB and I actually go out we end up talking about Son a good deal of the time. But the same conversation in a different location, or with different beverages, can make all the difference!
Have fun! I'll be thinking of you as I freeze up here!!