Friday, August 31, 2007

Guitar Heroing with the kids


I'm embarrassed to say that I'm hopelessly addicted to Guitar Hero (the very cool game for PS 2 game systems). Until now I haven't blinked at any of the games our oldest son has played, but this one is somehow different, more participatory, more opportunities for a type of learning I understand. For those who haven't played, you actually have a guitar-controller and hit the "notes" as they come down at you on the screen. It's nifty because if you don't hit them then the song doesn't play that note. You feel quite like the superstar when you nail 40 or so notes in a row.
My rationalizations for spending time on that which I have no time for:

1. As pathetic as it sounds, it's the closest I will ever get to actually producing music as I have NO music background--none, no piano, can't sing tenor, nada

2. I am listening to and learning the titles to music, something I've always sucked at. Favorites so far: Smoke on the water by Deep Purple, Sharped dress man by ZZ Top, and More than a feeling by Boston from GH I AND Cherry pie by Warrant, Rock this town by the Stray Cats, and You really got me going by Van Halen from GH II (see complete lists here I and here II). It's amazing how many songs I'm familiar with but do not know the title or artists--i.e. Smoke on the water and Cherry pie

3. I get to spend quality time with my two sons. Of course I can't even come close to competing with my oldest as he has already passed off all the songs on medium and some on expert. But I was, for awhile, pretty competitive with my six-year old--an you thought the new music thing was pathetic. Eventually I did start falling behind so one day after I got home from work, he says, "Dad, I was feeling bad for you so I passed off two songs for you under your career" (each person has their own career where you add songs, venues, and even equipment as you pass off songs).

4. It's really quite challenging and takes an immense amount of focus; finally passing off Heart-Shaped box by Nirvana, though I don't particularly like the song, was quite an accomplishment for me. It's kind of unnerving when you start missing notes: the "crowd" starts to boo and then, if you keep missing, the song stops completely with a bing "zonk" type sound.
5. I'm participating in the cutting edge of physical participatory (ok, that might be a stretch) gaming. Still, how can one not enjoy this game as you move your fingers along the colored frets, while strumming the notes and hitting the wammy bar on the long notes?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the game, but since I really CAN play guitar (and most of the songs on the game) it really screws with my ability to effectively play Guitar Hero. I found it interesting that some of the songs are harder to play on the Playstation than they are on the real thing. Overall it is really neat though.

You know, if you are interested in learning guitar at all, I can show you some stuff. Plus, Darci's guitar is still at your Mom and Dad's house, so you could use that. I can show you a few things to work on and you could pick up an easy song or two in a few hours. It's really not too difficult if you're patient. Music isn't just an inherited talent. Anybody can play if they put in the practice.

Maybe then you and your drummer son can jam! >:]

Dr Write said...

Dude! I wish I could play "More than a feeling." Really takes you back, huh? Son likes to play this with our gaming neighbor. Seems like a fun game. But it would just be one more thing to keep me from writing...like blogging and TV and...you know.

Counterintuitive said...

Rod: let me refrase what I said in my blog--I have NO music education whatsoever (ok I take that back, one time I made a visual representation in my 7th grade music class of "another one bites the dust" filled with dead bodies and guns) and your "few things" would take days, weeks, years.

spontaneous expressions said...

one of my proudest moments...making it to the end of the song "Stop" by Jane's Addiction on medium no less. My kids were very impressed.

GH is starting a revolution. I can't believe how into "rock" my kids are now. Its funny to hear them talk about songs that were popular when I was growing up. I am happy because they are taking an interest in music and I can hold the rule over their heads that if they finish a year of piano they can take guitar. (I just hope I will stick to this).

Anonymous said...

I only acquired some official music "education" a few years ago. I am mostly (for the first 10 years at least) self-taught. And yes, it does take time but it is a very fufilling hobby.

Lisa B. said...

I'm loving the fact that your favorite songs are Smoke on the Water and Cherry Pie. Far be it from me to criticize a man and his music but damn. And you don't like Heart-shaped Box? Damn.

Anonymous said...

I attempted to play it in Best Buy and I couldn't play more than two notes in a row. I think I'll stick to the real thing for now if playing once a year for about an hour counts!

Counterintuitive said...

Well, remember the music I like when playing Guitar hero is the music that sounds familiar so I can then hit the notes. Though my musical "taste," overall, is not really a taste at all as I don't really listen to music.

Lisa said...

This is funny. I'd been looking at this post for a little while when I finally asked Jim (the BF) whether we actually had a PS 2 (nevermind the game). He said yeah, we had the game, and the little fake guitar was behind the TV and had been there all along. So I told him who you were and that I wanted to try to play and he produced from out of nowhere the little white guitar and showed me "Heart-shaped Box" on the easy setting. I then tried to play some other song - about school or something? - and discovered I'm truly terrible at this guitar heroing stuff. And then I drank beer. The end.

shane said...

one of my biggest regrets is that i never learned how to play an instrument. maybe Guitar Hero is my only option left. only i want to play jazz. do they have sax hero?