Monday, December 31, 2007

Entertainment over the break

Biggest disappointment: The Golden Compass

As my son said to me about half way through, "it feels like the movie is on fast-forward"--exactly! My critique is NOT that it wasn't as good as the book, a comparison I rarely find useful, but rather that the pacing and characterization were terrible. And it's not that the movie cut or changed too many things from the book (there were changes and deletions as there always are) but that they needed more deletions in order to slow things up a bit OR, and maybe this was out of the director's control (I heard he quit the film once), it needed to be a 3 hour film. A wonderful opportunity to broaden the audience of this brilliant trilogy forever lost.

Best find by oldest son: The Red Green show: Stuffed and Mounted 1 on DVD

The whole family, especially the oldest son, have really enjoyed this. A Canadian show that clearly demonstrates that money and Hollywood are overrated. I get such a kick out of the handyman skits where Red often starts with hardcore tools but ends up slapping on duct tap.

Most fun at the theatre: I am legend

Will Smith does an amazing job balancing sheer terror and loneliness with humor. Many great scenes: hunting deer in the city, chasing his dog into the warehouse--gawdam that scared me! and reeling in a "vampire."

Best movie preparation for book club: Branah's Henry V

Branah is simply amazing in this film and has a long list of interesting projects. And thank God for his Shakespeare adaptations which helped me understand how to read Shakespeare as an ungrad.

Best way to experience x-mas eve: It's a wonderful life

I know, no big surprise here but something is special about a movie which presents a view on life I disagree with (that if we were not here people would be vastly different because of it), has much silliness like Zuzu's petals and "every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings," and yet causes me to cry each time, no matter I've seen it 20 times, when the town rallies to save the fallen Jimmy Stewart.

Best old TV series on DVD: Northern Exposure (we are in season 5)

Humorous quirky characters yet serious, philosophical, and intertextual--I couldn't ask for much more.

Best adaptation of a book: Atonement

This experience helped me recover from my exasperation with the GC--for me easily one of the best adaptations of a book. The pacing was right on and the performances from Keira Knightley and James McAvoy were brilliant. I was nervous they would flub up the sexual tension (the fountain, letter, and library scene) but they didn't. I was totally sold by Knightley's confident demeanor as she strips down and plunges into the fountain for the broken porcelain and the letter scene is perfect, the "word" never uttered only seen, the typewriter keys haunting us throughout the rest of the film. And, I knew I'd seen and liked McAvoy but didn't remember the film till I IMBD'd him: Dr. Kerrigan in The last king of Scotland. Two very interesting roles for him; I'm excited to see what he does next.

5 comments:

Dr Write said...

I also got the family to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" again. Yes, I've seen it a million times. Yes, I cry every time. And I was especially touched by the us vs. the capitalist robber baron theme this year, given the housing crisis.
Also, loved Atonement. I was wondering how they would deal with the "word" and thought it was brilliantly done. Am in love with James McAvoy, also to be seen in "Becoming Jane." I thought the movie was gorgeous, and will be surprised if it doesn't get a fistful of Oscar nominations.
Sorry to hear about GC, but it gives me more time to read the books.
Welcome back!

Darci said...

I want to read Atonement before I go see it. I've had it on my bookshelf for at least 8 years maybe this will be the motivation to actually read it. It was great seeing you over the break, I'm disappointed we didn't make your entertainment over the break list : )

shane said...

What is "Atonement"? I was under the impression that it was a Mormon thing? I guess not. (I really need to get hip to the latest movie scene, don't I?) Is there a connection to Mormonism in it?

At any rate, it sounds like a movie I'll have to see--or maybe I'll just read the book!

Counterintuitive said...

Shane--can see why you made that connection since I mentioned the film during our Mormon/church/religion conversation. But...yes you are out of touch :) It's based on a Ian Mckewan novel by the same name; no Mormon connections and no overt religious subject matter. I think you will like it as it's a damn fine story but also a meditation on what it means to write people into existence.

HH said...

I... Love... The Red Green Show! You hit it, spot on, regarding the Golden Compass.
I, like Dr. Write, am going to read the book before going to see "Atonement". Need to see "No country for old men." I loved "Fargo."

HH