Thursday, December 29, 2011

Good American mystery writing????

A Cold Day for Murder (Kate Shugak, #1)A Cold Day for Murder by Dana Stabenow

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Having started my mystery/detective reading with the Scandanavians has (I'm afraid) set me up for disappointment as I now attempt some Americans. I didn't hate this book but, to give a sense of my overall engagement, I actually couldn't remember if I had finished it.



Overall I do like the Kate Shugak character--strong female, enigmatic, non-conforming--but at times the novel felt more like a trite romance novel than a mystery. While it had a few nods to the deeper issues of discrimination of the Aleut tribe, none are satisfyingly explored.



View all my reviews

3 comments:

middlebrow said...

Have you read the classic American crime/noir? Hammett? Chandler? I also think early James Ellroy is excellent. Clandestine and Brown's Requiem are good. Jim Thompson's The Killer Inside Me is a must read. Hammett's Red Harvest is also a favorite.

Hightouch will be up on the contemporary stuff, but I'm now reading some current Australian crime novel that I'm enjoying very much. I'll post about it at some point perhaps.

Lisa B. said...

I would just add Ross MacDonald to mb's list of classic American crime/detective writers. Lew Archer is MacDonald's detective--I think he is a swell writer, have read every single one of his Archer books. I've been trying to think of a more contemporary detective fiction writer. I quite liked The Black Dahlia--disturbing and dark and florid. I read all of Michael Connelly awhile back--the Harry Bosch novels--police procedurals. Some are better than others. Also the guy who wrote Devil with a Blue Dress--Walter Mosley. Those are good books. And finally, I highly recommend Elmore Leonard--you could start with Get Shorty, which I think is pretty much genius.

Counterintuitive said...

Thanks for suggestions. I know many of these names and could have done more research before posting my worries concerning American mystery/detective writing. But now I feel more confident with these suggestions.

BTW, Lisa, I just happened to finish Devil with a blue dress by Walter Mosley--I quite enjoyed it.