Sunday, June 25, 2006

The MS 150 saga

I’d promised myself that during the ride I would try to keep in mind those with MS, their struggles and devastating physical impairments. Unfortunately this proved more difficult than expected. To my credit I did think of the MS cause twice during the almost 5 hr ride—once near the beginning when I was part of a huge peloton (close to 100 riders) realizing only a cause like MS could pull together such a diverse group of riders at such an early hour for such a punishing experience. My awe of the peloton was quickly shattered when some of the peloton turned left and some went straight leading to a slow down from 25 mph to 0 in a few seconds. I had to slam on my brakes and a rider from behind me clipped me tossing me into the barrow pit. Seems I faired better than another rider who had road rash all down one side of his body. I escaped with a sprained thumb. While I would not fall again, I’d have two more mishaps by mile 50 and I wouldn’t remember the MS cause until after mile 50.

Mishap #2: bee sting ¼ inch from belly button while going close to 30 mph.

Mishap #3: flat tire at mile 52. Luckily I detected it by an aid station and was able to fix the flat in comfort.

Best moment: about 15 miles (30-45) with 9 cyclists working together at the front to catch solo breakaways (no this isn’t an official race but…). We were averaging 23-25 mph—it was efficient, even though this pace was impossible for all of us to keep for another 60 miles except one rider who is normally a cat 2 racer. This was also when I again thought of MS; actually it was after the exuberance of the fast 15 miles as I fixed my flat. The absolute irony of riding 100 miles in order to raise money for those with MS hit me. I wondered if anyone with MS had ever participated. Probably, but if so they would have known their days of riding were numbered.

All in all a great ride. I’d thought about doing 75 miles each day but decided instead to do 100 on Saturday and call it good. Thanks to those who supported the cause and my ride.

6 comments:

middlebrow said...

Excellent work. We must still go on a shorter ride sometime this summer. Perhaps 20 miles?

Lisa B. said...

a belly button bee sting would have caused me to sell my bike and renounce riding forever. I salute you, sir, for your good works and your resolute spirit.

Clint Gardner said...

Is it too late to pledge?

lis said...

yes, i have the same question as c. I meant to pledge, but totally forgot.

Lisa B. said...

uh, ditto.

Counterintuitive said...

I made my pledge limit so no worries. I'll probably hit you up again next year so wait till then.