Thursday, November 02, 2006

Fall is in full swing

I have just a few minutes to post something as my laptop battery is just about to die.

First, I hate new shows which hook you (Studio 60) and then a month in disappear on their scheduled time. Luckily, there's a new Office tonight. I am embarrassingly excited about watching it. I was so desparate I tried to watch Lost last night but couldn't do it.

I have many blog ideas--one concerning deep philosophical ideas I'm reading about in Doubt: A History by Michelle Hecht. Clearly doubt has gotten a bad rap which I've personally witnessed several times while carrying around this book, "Why are you reading about doubt? Isn't it depressing?"

We have a sh*tload of candy in our house which is a major temptation for me: one I want to eat it and two I want to control my kids' intake of said candy. But, you know what, I'm ok with it. I'm cool with my kids fawning over their stashes. I've decided (in light of some parents buying their candy off their kids) that amassing candy empowers children. That's right, you heard it first here on Counterintuitive. Counting, sorting, and relishing the halloween take, builds self-esteem and confidence, negating any deleterious sugar highs and rotting teeth.

8 comments:

middlebrow said...

1) Studio 60 rocks.
2) Doubt? But what if you know you're right?
3) Candy is the work of the Devil.

I love having my laptop back.

Dr. Write said...

I also heart Studio 60. It's back next week. Don't despair.
I heart doubt. I'm all about doubt. I am doubt.
Candy IS the work of the devil. Don't disparage us for buying the candy off the little guy. He got two toys out of the deal and we got a few candybars and a slightly less guilty conscious. What is that worth? And for the record, I have no doubt about that decision.

Counterintuitive said...

Sorry D. Write but if you are "all about doubt" you should be doubting every decision especially the decision to extort all of your 5 year old's candy!!!!

Kids: hide all of your candy and trust no adult who attempts to bribe or "hide your candy" so you won't eat too much. Beware, many adults would strip you of your god-given right to possess milky ways, sugar babies, and dum dum suckers. Don't give in as no amount of money or toys will compensate for the lack of candy-freakin joy you will experience each morning as you suck down a pixie stick.

Lisa B. said...

I will say, as the one person here with children who should not still be trick or treating, but still are (the sight of running son and his pal in their Teen-Age Mutant Ninja Turtle costumes was joy, pure joy) that the candy joy can last and last. I used to try to police it, but you try to control an almost-eighteen year old. Just try. I say, being a parent is the greatest lesson in life there is in embracing your powerlessness and also practicing non-attachment. Just breathe and let the candy go.

middlebrow said...

lisa b, certainly you know the art of making things disappear. sometimes in our house, things just go missing.

shane said...

I remember browsing through the Hecht book at a local bookstore awhile back. It seemed interesting. I'm reminded of a question James Joyce once asked (to whom, I forget): What unites man to man more: faith or doubt?
I'm guessing he came down on the side of doubt, but I'm not sure.
At any rate, I'm looking forward to your blog on the subject.

lis said...

you know, I don't think telling us what you want to blog about is the same as actually blogging. but whatever.

Candy! hey middlebrow, weren't you supposed to bring me some of that candy that you bargained away from son?

Counterintuitive said...

it had a fall theme!!