Saturday, February 17, 2007

Top of Adam's Canyon

I have only a few words, mostly mere compulsion to document the top half of Adam's Canyon. It seems appropriate to return to this canyon as it was here that I received my winter inspiration (see my earlier post ), my raison d'etre during these frigid months. During my earlier hike I didn't quite make it to the top falls; too much time caressing the trees and all. This time I made it and wow, wow, wow...

Huge layers of ice bursting out from the original falls. I even shimmied on my belly to the edge of the built up (several feet off the ground) ice shelf in front of the fall. I just had to get a few close ups of this behemoth:
And that's just about it for the major winter hiking trails in Davis County. I have, admittedly, left out one biggie, Mueller Park, but I didn't get out there during the freeze and there's not much water to speak of--maybe next year. I was feeling kind of sad about the melted ice, but then it snowed again today. Of course the veneer of snow and ice will be gone in a matter of weeks. It's time to move on I suppose.
Next winter I think I will chronicle the small canyons and rivers, maybe even a few without trails. It's been quite winter; I sure hope to remember at least a bit of what I've come to see right here mintues from my home. Still, I know it will be much harder as cycling season is now starting: competition, drive, details...all pulling me away from mere observation and reflection.

3 comments:

Dr. Write said...

I've been quite impressed with your winter activity. I can barely drag myself out of bed these days. But the melting snow outside does seem to be calling to me. If only I could get out from under the pile of papers.

Counterintuitive said...

Yeah, papers. I told myself I'd grade for a few hrs this morning but I only read three essays. How pathetic! But I did go for a short bike ride since the snow melted away so quickly.

Lisa B. said...

I read somewhere, someone calling this part of the year "late winter." Late! Like everything else in my life. Thanks for these beautiful photo/textual essays--they have really been wonderful to read.