Friday, February 23, 2007

Why I love to work from home on Fridays

1. I can get a headstart on a Netflix movie over lunch (I started Babel today)
2. I get to be home to greet my kids on their early out day
3. Potential for romantic interlude as kids are all at school (w/ my wife of course!)
4. I can take my son and his friend on a hike in the snow (I did that last week--they thought it was an "adventure" as we hiked over snow covered rocks and then all yelled and screamed from a ridge into an echo inducing canyon).
5. I can feel better that my piss poor pay as a teacher is counter-balanced, in part, with the *idea* that I don't have to work on Fridays.
6. I can spend much of the day (if needed, which is often) finishing the book for bkclub (we meet on one Friday a month) and then work on Saturday
7. I can have a cup of tea while grading papers
8. In the summer I can step out onto our porch and into the sun every hour or so
9. In the summer I can take a break by picking fresh tomaoes and yellow bean
10. Rather than getting stuck in snowstorms on the freeway (two snowstorms today), I can get stuck as I hike in the mountains:


4 comments:

Lisa B. said...

well said, counterintuitive! Working from home somehow makes the work feel better. Ditto about the tea--somehow, that makes almost everything better.

Dr. Write said...

I totally agree. Usually I don't actually *work* on Fridays, but spend it with Son, then I don't feel so bad about working on Saturday.
I also love the picture. Perhaps you were the victim of a surprise attacks by son and friend?

Counterintuitive said...

Actually, I was hiking alone this time and got caught in a blizzard--one moment no hat, sunny, the next ice packed face screaming for relief.

HH said...

Nice Pic dude! Looks like you were having a ball I(snowball to the head, or just plain fun).

I appreciate your insights on the trade-off between pay and time in education. I can totally relate.

Speaking of tea... I could really use a cup right now... the snow has chilled me a bit.

Best wishes,

Travis