Sunday, November 18, 2007

The youngest child

It took several incidents of rustling and crumpling for me to realize that a fairly large mouse had setup shop under the bed in my office. It seems this was the best place to hide his halloween stash from his older siblings.








Yesterday was
a spectacular late fall day for roasting hot dogs and smores and it kicked ass over any church meeting I've ever been to. We probably won't be short-sleeved and out in the woods until the spring thaw.

AND, check out them roasting skills!






Hard to accept that our six year old will grow up some day. I wonder if he will always seem younger--more innocent, cuter, softer--no matter how old he gets.

4 comments:

Lisa B. said...

I do find that I think of my youngest two children (almost 21 and 19 respectively) as "the little kids," compared to their older siblings (almost 29, 27, 25). Hilarious. I feel very protective of them, all of them, in fact--I think it's because you will always see the vulnerable part of them because you knew them when.

spontaneous expressions said...

I don't know but I think the baby will always be the baby for me. (even though he is hardly a baby anymore). Not such a bad thing I think, I hope they won't be in therapy for this. ( but if not, I'm sure they'd find other reasons for needing therapy!)

Counterintuitive said...

yes I worry about the therapy and oldest son keeps insisting--often and vociferously--that we need to get tough on the youngest one.

Anonymous said...

STG says: The oldest will often see the youngest getting off easy. I was an oldest boy and growing up, thought the younger bros were babied. Same thing with my current family; the oldest thought the next was pampered and more loved (side note: my youngest thinks our autistic son, who's a year older than her, really has it easy).

Bottom line: As parents we practice on the oldest and refine our parenting as more kids arrive on the scene.