Friday, August 08, 2008

Dancing across Morgan by cool clouded skies


Seth did it! After a couple of years discussing and then several months planning and preparing this summer, Seth completed his 50 mile bike ride which was the last requirement for his cycling merit badge. And along the way he somehow fits into my old cycling jersey and can ride my old bike.

It all started off with Seth, yes my teenage son, waking ME up at 5:15 this morning. We ate some peanut butter toast y and drove up Weber Canyon to Mt. Green and headed out, the back pockets of our cycling jersey's stuffed with Clif shot blocks, GU, peanut butter crackers, and granola bars. From Mt Green we circled around the southeast side of Morgan valley passing through several small towns. At our first stop at a gas station, Seth knew we were in another world: "Hey, did you hear those people? Both people that pulled up knew the woman already here getting gas. And all three of them shewed that dog home by name. That doesn't happen in Layton."

In order to get in the full 50 miles we headed up East Canyon road for about 7 miles or so--quite a climb to East Canyon reservoir. Then we flew down, finally arriving at Morgan where we sat in the grass a bit eating crackers and stretching.

Our only conflict was that Seth got a bit irritated that I kept looking back to make sure he was close and to encourage him to ride my wheel closer--the draft really makes for an easier ride. Eventually he started making fun of me. I guess after looking back about 1,000 times, it really doesn't help much. By mile 40 every time I looked back, Seth would quote lines from that great British comedy, Father Ted: "I don't know Father Ted, what would you like to do?" or call me strange names like Shaniqua.

All in all a great ride: 50 miles, about 3 and half hrs of ride time, max speed 35mph, average almost 14mph, several dead animals and bad smells, and hopefully some good memories we will both carry with us.

7 comments:

Clint Gardner said...

Sounds like a great time. Congratulations to you both.

Dr Write said...

First of all, you both look adorable in your jerseys.
Second, Seth sounds hilarious.
Thirdly, I so, SO look forward to outdoor activities with Son. I'm hoping he'll like to backpack, since MB doesn't, but barring that, maybe he'll really like hiking, running and tennis. Or even one of those really.
Congrats on the joint activity. I'm jealous.

shane said...

Wow, do you really have a son that old?

Great pic. And it sounds like you had a great time. What takes the place of biking in the winter?

Lisa B. said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. Ditto about looking great in your outfits. The cool clouded skies make a big difference, don't they? They do to me, anyway. I feel super cheerful when it's overcast in the summer.

middlebrow said...

Very cool. Fifty miles is quite an accomplishment. I'll go on a twenty mile ride with you. Okay, maybe ten.

Rod said...

I don't know how you guys can wear those skin-tight shorts out in public! I think I might be too self-conscious for that.

Great job on riding 50 miles. Even on a motorcycle (my preferred method of 2-wheeled transportation) that is a long way.

spontaneous expressions said...

Hey Shaniqua...nice ride! I can't believe how suddenly Seth morphed into this teenager. You are laying down memories that he won't ever forget.

Mtn. Green, East Canyon, Morgan... I was just there too, what a beautiful place. While there, I had a fun daydream about living in a place like this. (where you know everyone and everyone knows you)..then I remembered that this is small town Utah. My pleasant daydream turned into a creepy dayfright.

See you at Dwight. Not entirely my cup of tea but I miss everyone. I'm practicing my shitkicker lingo.