Friday, August 29, 2008

A case study: Student expression and the employment of "fuck"

Strangely I've read about five student drafts exploring personal memories and three have dropped the F-bomb. I usually don't get this kind of openness till later in the semester and even then at a much lower percentage; seems students often hold onto the rules of high school. I've often had students bashfully approach me with concerns about the language they have in an essay: "Professor, I'm writing about an experience in the military and you know the language in that setting is kind rough..." At this point I usually interrupt, assuring them they can use any language they'd like. And still I get: sh*t and b*%$# etc.

And it's not just the F-bombs in these papers: much of the writing is quite daring for a first assignment. I have no idea what's in the air. Certainly I haven't done anything that different from all the other 1010 sections I've taught. This proliferation of fucks has really brightened my day, giving me hope in the next generation. By fuck, I'm going to read three more papers before I do lunch.

4 comments:

Dr Write said...

Awesome.
Maybe there is something in your demeanor that says, "Use the word fuck in your paper. C'mon!"
Whatever it is, I need to get me some.

Lisa B. said...

Re your case study and the incidence of "fuck": I keep forgetting how easy it is to make you happy.

middlebrow said...

Oh my heck that neat!

shane said...

I very often use that word in my classes, and yet my students hardly ever do in their writing. What does that mean?

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that it isn't positive. You're probably a better teacher than I am.