Saturday, September 20, 2008

Things I meant to blog about but didn't

I've had lots (really!) of great blogging ideas but I've had little time and my brain is stuffed. So here's the short version of each; at least this post will move the F word down on my homepage:

1. Our 13 year old son has gone through some sort of evolution. A few weeks ago we realized he had a girlfriend--kind of difficult to keep tabs on this kind of thing when he can email, IM, and call her on the cell phone. This morning before noon he had already chatted with the gf and we fielded four calls from four different friends. What happened to the shy, boyish child of last year? Concerning gf thing I have radically contracting feelings and thoughts. On one hand, I'm think hold up buckaroo, there's all kinds of time left, no need to take the fun out of puppy love stuff (a note, a brush of hands, etc). On the other, I identify strongly with his plight to get with his girl. Several times I've caught myself constructing arguments my son might use with us and the gf's parents. And after seeing him IM for several hrs with the gr, I finally said, "You might as well go see her." Which of course he had already thought out and planned--that evening he headed out on his bike with goofy directions to her house, accepting none of our help. Amazingly he spent an eveing with the gf and her family. I was 17 before I did such a thing--much safer and less grown up to just make-out in the bushes during night games. What is he thinking!

2. My wife and I went to Beethoven's 9th symphony--it really go me going. Of course I'm familiar with the Ode to Joy but had never heard the entire piece. Near the end, during the last movement where the orchestra begins to tempt us with the Ode to Joy melody (after having taken us through some sort of Turkish march music), I nearly lept from my chair and had to blink away a few tears. It was brilliantly explosive.

3. Harvest time again. This past Sunday the whole family got invovled, picking peaches, pears, apples, grapes, tomatoes, peppers, and squash. I've designated myself the peach cutter upper for this fall-50 or so peaches later, I'm still loving it (the eating and cutting). I've made a couple of superb batches of fresh salsa with a variety of hot peppers--the classic jalapeno, the less well-known serrano, a long skinny red pepper, and the exotic tiny thai dragon (hot as a mother). Eating all this fresh food has given me an opportunity to detox from the modern vagaries of grocery store shopping. If only I could eat this way all year.

6 comments:

HH said...

I have Granpa Mackey's salsa recipe should you want it. (I LOVE his salsa).

So, you have a horny teen. Well in the words of Bruce Willis (Die Hard), "Welcome to the party pal."

I own a Boston Philharmonic does Beethoven and have listened to "Ode to Joy" about a thousand times. I, too, have wept at its close. Of course, I cry at the end of "I Robot" from Alan Parsons project. Just sayin'..

Your parents have supplied us with corn, tomatoes, and squash for some time. We have nothing but praise for their growing efforts.

BTW... Shane has a post, and I have a response, you might revel in.

Trav

Darci said...

I'm so jealous of your harvesting. I planted a few tomato plants that didn't make it long (I got a few tomatoes) and a zucchini plant that basically took over my back yard. That is one of my requests when we move is a nice size garden. HH-How did you get Grandpa's salsa recipe?? I was sure he took that with him!!

Dr Write said...

I'm SO not ready for the IM-ing with the GF, etc.
Also, I want in my heart of hearts to can and be domestic, but I'm lazy. So. Lazy.
Maybe next weekend I'll do some tomatoes. But that's it. Seriously. I can't.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog while looking at Jack's new pics. It seems a little wierd to come in you back door. I'm sure Seth is just being friendly, definitely not the h----word. Say it can't be. I must rev up my best denial modes.
Love, Mom

Lisa B. said...

Tooooo good when you blog. I might have to stand up with tears in my eyes . . . when you blog.

shane said...

Nothing like hearing a symphony live.

I've been going out to our garden every day and picking fresh vegetables. It goes straight from the garden to my plate. WAY better than going to the store. I agree.