Monday, January 12, 2009

Location

I feel like I have been plucked up and dropped into a different job. Instead of driving to work, I will be doing the train thing to our campus in the hood on M and W. I road Frontrunner, then Tracks, and then walked a mile. The walking was particularly strange as I'm just not used to walking much of anywhere, certainly not in the big city. On my return walk I went off the beaten path of State and 13th South--many boarded up stores, a few alleys, a big restaurant fan spewing crap onto the sidewalk, muchas palabras en espanol. A world out of sight but just blocks away from roads I've driven many times.

How easy it is to be absolutely isolated from anyone and anywhere Other. I'm quite confident that I did indeed go to work today, but I'm really not quite sure.

7 comments:

Nik said...

This feeling of dislocation--I think it's good for the brain. Bravo on taking the Frontrunner. My cousin, who lives in West Farmington (or some such on-the-lake locale) was taking the Frontrunner, then Trax, when gas was $4.00/gallon. Now that gas is cheap, he's driving again. I say, tax that gas until everyone's taking the train.

Lisa B. said...

I've heard from a poet friend who rides the train in the employ of the UTA that the Frontrunner is a pretty deluxe train-riding experience. I am loving taking the TRAX--just the gift of the extra half-hour each way to read is awesome. I would love to hear reports on what you train-time is like.

Once upon a time, Les Madeleines was located on State Street right near the college. It's in a better location now, but I liked it when one of the best bakeries anywhere was in the hood.

Clint Gardner said...

The 17 Bus goes right to the College from 21st South and doesn't take more than 5 minutes to get there, if you want to avoid the walk, that is.

Dr Write said...

You are so very urban. If you moved to our hood, you could walk to work. I'm just sayin...

Darci said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darci said...

Isn't it funny how walking in an area you usually drive gives you an entirely different view? A fan spewing crap when driving is much different when you have to walk through it.

Counterintuitive said...

Yes indeed sis--wouldn't have noticed it, how the owners have tried to duct tap a container to catch the crud, how the crud has stained the sidewalk over the years.