Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Grading to the Beatles

I'm grading papers (well I was) and can hear my 14 year old son playing the Beatles' "Let it be" on the piano and singing along. He's been working on it for a couple of days. Hearing him tears me up, somehow a symbolic representation of the hard work and sacrifice we've made over the years to raise him. And I don't mean some sort of reward for all the music lessons and money on drums sets etc. Instead that hearing him play confirms his individuality and separation from me: he is Seth, a budding adult, someone who will go off and do his thing out in the world. Beautiful.

3 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Lovely vignette. Also, a lovely fatherly insight.

Dr Write said...

This is very sweet. I have the same thought, although it goes something like this: "I sure hope that when Son grows up he doesn't shoplift gum from the 7-11."
Maybe when what he's playing on the guitar starts to sound like music, I'll change my story....

Anonymous said...

Picturing you listening to Seth play "Let It Be" tears me up too. I feel the music that pulls three generations together, but also apart...Love, Mom and Grandma Kathy