Friday, September 04, 2009

Guess who finally got into Cs?

That'd be ME with my two wonderful colleagues: Antistrophe and Signifying nothing. I have been part of a proposal for 4Cs (a major composition conference) every year for the last 6 years.

I tried many combinations: submitted with two new SLCC colleagues, Middlebrow and The cold cold north; submitted again with Middlebrow but brought in the experieinced 4C's ringer, Hightoughmegastore; submitted alone with little collegial feedback; several times had experienced colleagues read over and help rewrite proposal.

Finally this one stuck. And amazingly a fellow greeny (Antistrophe), as they say in the Mormon mission field, and I planned it out and I headed up the actual writing. Also thanks goes to Signifying nothing who, very last minute, allowed us to use his star-studded writing center presence to round out our panel and hooked me up with solid writing center research.

Somehow I feel like I've arrived. I know it's silly but indulge me. So many revisions of the proposal and it was our (Antistrophe's and mine) writing, not writing majorily tweaked by my more experienced, mentoring colleagues. Of course without said mentoring, I would never have arrived at such great heights. After the presentation I will be ready to die and go to heaven; my work will be done on earth.

p.s. if you have inside information that the committee accepted the proposal because they somehow found out Signifying nothing, the world leader of student writing centers, was on the proposal OR because our issue--student retention and writing--is a hot issue this year, keep it to yourself. I want to believe I've arrived.

11 comments:

Lisa B. said...

You have arrived.

Congratulations! Now I have to figure out how to get to the C's this year to come hear your panel.

Antistrophe said...

Damn right we have arrived. And I will add that it's good to be green.

middlebrow said...

Well done counterintuitive.

lis said...

great job! you are so persistent. it's about time the c's people realized your good ideas.

Anonymous said...

Must be the new earring.

Dr Write said...

Congrats. And I agree, must be the earring.

Clint Gardner said...

Having been a reviewer of this batch of proposals, I can assure you that it is completely a blind review and my name on the thing didn't have a thing to do with it. I didn't even ask about our proposal at headquarters out of ethical concerns.

With that, please refer to my professional self and not my nefarious blogging self when talking about CCCC acceptance. I do have a reputation to keep, afterall, that doesn't include my penchant for nonsense.

Clint Gardner said...

Oh, and you definitely have arrived. It is time, once again, for we at SLCC to demonstrate the stunning program we have developed.

Clint Gardner said...

Of course it is all about Signifying nothing. I rock.

Har har har.

How's that for some fucking cyber disconnect?

Just kidding. Congratulations, Counterintuitive and to Brittany whose nefarious yet integrated blogging personality name I do not recall at the moment.


Seriously--this is big time. Rock on.

Clint Gardner said...

Oh and, just saying, you have a very old link to my blog in your roll. Go for http://signifyingnothing.com . It will get you to the right place.

SH said...

I have no idea what you are talking about, but I suspect it's something you can be proud of. You go CI!