Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Getting to the skin

We end my SF course with presentations about how SF works to engage issues of diversity. One students did a most daring change of apparel, especially given he had never openly discussed his sexual orientation up to this point. See the video below (watch from 1:30; video taping not so hot). In the process the student makes a pointed criticism of diversity classes and seminars: they often create only skin-deep categories of human beings.


I have to say this is one of the best classes I've ever had. We had tough, open, dangerous conversations about gay rights, the LDS church, religion, and gender with a very mixed group of students. On the last day three students just stayed in the class even though we'd already gone over; I don't think they could quite pull themselves away from what they had created.

2 comments:

radagast said...

I had this same student in an English class. I don't remember him being so thoughtful, though, so all glory to you, CI. When this sort of class happens--very rarely, in my experience--it always makes me wonder HOW it happened and whether it can be replicated. What alchemy of personalities, pedagogy, and, I don't know, quantum particles? kismet? set in motion the move from just another shite class to something approaching "higher learning"? Anyway, well done you.

Counterintuitive said...

Agreed--so difficult to tell what makes a class work. I'm going with "alchemy of personalities" and a sprinkle of pedagogy.