Monday, January 04, 2010

Parental Interview

Sunday afternoon: Seated on the couch when the oldest son enters and sits down, placing his hands on his knees:

"So you guys know your bed squeaks, right?"

"Does it?" he says with intentional nonchalance.

"Squeaks, huh?" she says with a little apprehension.

"Yes, it does. You know (breaking into song)... 'Making love in afternoon with Celia up in my bedroom'"

Floored and turning a shade of pink he says, "Oh, I see what you are getting at."

"Just so you know. It squeaks and has for some time."

"Wow, you are really sockin' it to us, aren't you?" he says.

"Just sayin'"





7 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Dude, just so you know, it weirds them out that you're having sex. So you better not let this get in the way of your afternoon delight. It's your job to weird them out by being a human being.

Just sayin.

Dr Write said...

This is so my future. Just reading your post about it gave me the heebie jeebies. I'm so not qualified to be a parent.

middlebrow said...

We got a new Ikea foam mattress. No springs.

Counterintuitive said...

Ikea has an answer for everything.

Nik said...

Wow. I love that he told you. I think. Or possibly I love how he felt compelled to tell you twice.
And MB--I fear it's the frame that squeaks. Beware the metal frame!

I'm moving my kid into guest house.

lis said...

And I must add I think it says great things about you two as parents that your kid would come to you with such a concern.

Anonymous said...

You know it's about as comfortable for me to read this stuff and Seth. No, I think it's cool that Seth is so open to asking (teasing) you two about it. He's your great kid!