Saturday, January 09, 2010

Waiting on the teens

I'm actually watching SNL, something I haven't done, other than off of You-Tube, for years. Why you might ask? Because I'm waiting for our almost-teen, Hana, and teenager, Seth, to get home. Alison has long been asleep so I'm on-call solo.

We don't really do this late night thing too well. Slowly chipping away at my late-night habits over the years, Alison has made 10:45pm seem late even on the weekend. I had to laugh when I read HTM's blog today where she mentioned staying up later because her 20 something son was out late. Many times we have--sorry to admit this in a public forum--fallen asleep while our teen was out and about. I guess we just suck as parents. Or maybe I just suck.

I have multiple distinct memories making a promise I am no longer keeping:

Groggily pleading out of a young parent haze, "Hon.... please... I promise. If you get up with the babies when they are you, I will stay up every weekend waiting for every one of our kids when they are teens. This is a good deal; it will just take some...."

"Ok, whatever."

"I love you...I love sweet sleep at 2am in the morning."

It seemed like a good plan at the time, but I didn't count on the fatal blow 14 yrs would have on my abilities to stay up, nor my waning worry about where they are. Well, here's my daughter, home from the movies. Should I call Seth at his friend's or simply go to sleep and figure his friend's parents will bring him home? It would be kind of fun not to call just to see how Seth would respond (while we have gone to sleep while he was out, we've never done it without a plan for his return). Would Seth worry about us? I highly doubt it. Would he come home earlyish, like midnight? Even less likely. Would he thank me in the morning for letting him stay out late? Probably.

Oh, shit guess I will go get him. Can't wait for a blast of 10 degree air. How in THE hell am I going to make it through another decade of this?

6 comments:

Lisa B. said...

The answer is, it will take a piece outta you.

Anonymous said...

Next door here. Welcome to the club.

The real fun begins when you start getting the calls of "so-n-so's parents can't bring me home like they'd planned" -- usually at about 1:00am;

or this one you'll get in a year or two: "Can you come get me, something's wrong with the car?" generally between 10:00pm and midnight;

or my personal favorite, that has a twist to it: "Can you come get me? Nick and I got in trouble and we're at the Layton Police station" -- this one is usually a Friday or Saturday night, often before 10:00pm but easily more troublesome.

You made a bad trade; much easier to pull all-nighters in your 20's than in your 40's....

Just hope and pray the grandkids aren't living with you when they become teens!

Counterintuitive said...

you two are NOT making me feel better. Already seems like pieces are gone from me. And I do not want to know of this "real fun" to come.

Also, sitting here right now on the verge of seething but not quite concerning the after-effects of teens out late--Seth just barely got up (it's after 12).

Even when I get him home at a decent time he insists on staying up till 2am. As he said to me last night, "I work hard all week so when the weekend comes I don't want to see morning; I know I'm procrastinating but it feels good." At least 4 more yrs of fighting with his sleep; maybe I should just give in now since I'm sure it's a no-win situation.

Darci said...

I will take the midnight feedings of a baby over waiting for a teen any night. I think I will attempt to make this same deal with Rod. Hopefully he won't read this until the deal has been made!

Anonymous said...

This hit so close to home all I could do was giggle. I can't help but wonder if we will even be able to wake up when it's Andrew and Carson.

Unknown said...

I used to stay up all night and sleep all day when I was his age. It will probably last until his first year of college. Eventually life forces you to wake up early whether you want to or not.