Saturday, February 06, 2010

I'm absolutely Fucked

NOTICE: Not surprisingly this post contains strong language, sarcasm, full puppet nudity...wait, no, that was in the play I saw last night, hyperbole, and dark humor. If you are not up for such things (mother!!!!) then please by all means do not read another go**am word.

***

I'm absolutely Fucked

Yet realizing, fully admitting, this fact has, on this very morning, Counterintuitively given me a certain sense of peace.

Realization #1: I will have to dedicate every minute to completing the work I have in front of me until after the 4Cs conference in Louisville this March

Realization #2: This means (which is merely reiterating #1 but I'm thick skulled) I must work all weekends and all evenings without feeling sorry for myself--I chose (mostly) to be this busy and I like my work...really I do.

Realization #3: In order to work all weekends and evening (again I'm repetitive but I need it) this means I can't watch an episode of House every night or take 3 hour long snow hikes...i.e. I have to make some drastic changes.

Work to be done (Readers: this section can be skipped as it is really a process in convincing myself that I am indeed fucked and, to most, will seem a skimpy amount of labor at best):
  • Complete 4 Cs presentation and retention study: transcribe about 6hrs of recorded focus groups and interviews, do research, write up a draft of reports, decide with Sig-No and Antistrophe what the fuck we will say during our presentation
  • Read and lead book discussion on Life as we know it by M. Berube for English conference on Disability
  • Read Oliver Sack's amazing book on neurological disorders: The man who mistook his wife for a hat for personal book club
  • Finish grading first set of response papers for my SF class, grade 2nd set next week
  • Grade memoirs for 2010 course
  • Grade out midterm portfolios for all 70 students in 2010 the week before I go to Louisville--why oh why....oops I'm in no complaint mode
  • Review a new textbook on writing in the disciplines, one which is very thick
  • Submit report to TETCY on best TETYC article of 2009
  • Continue meeting with School curr committee which is in the throes of redefining itself
  • Support the Writing and social justice conference on Disability by shepherding a flock of students to submit proposals, complete their projects, and show up
  • Amidst all this try to respond in a timely and professional manner to the zillion student questions and inquiries which will surely come over the next 6 weeks
  • Continue developing English 2010 curriculum for my newly minted tech-enhanced course/ new textbook
  • Meet with and read carefully read work of the incredibly passionate and intelligent independent study student I'm working with
New rules and regulations governing the life of Ron:
  • Limit communication to children: "Do that now!" or "Do that now before I kick your ass!"
  • House viewing: 5 minutes per night as I do my core exercises
  • Sexual activity: A 3 minute quickie every week, one bonus 5 min session for following all rules and regulations for one week (will have to run this by significant other)
  • No silly blogging once I'm finished with this post--and don't even consider logging onto FB
  • Discontinue meditation and Yoga practices for 6 weeks--peace and serenity certainly won't help me get anything done!!!!
  • No useless conversations/emails with students about questions and concerns about assignments and their writing. New standard line: "You are so full of shit; just do you work and get back with me when you are done."
  • Lean Cuisine-It for all lunches--sandwiches and fruits are overrated anyways and peeling/cutting fruit is WAAAYYY too time consuming
  • Drive 95mph to work: this is 15 mph faster than I currently drive so that means I will travel 15 mph further each hour I drive. And since I spend about an hour driving every day that should save me... ah who the fuck knows and I don't have time to figure it out. Suffice it to say that it will save me time. P.S. I will kick it up to 105mph if I see flashing lights.
  • Only read and grade every other paper giving the all missed papers a B- grade--no one will notice and odds are every student will eventually get an honestly graded paper eventually
I will probably have to make other adjustments, maybe tweak a few I've listed here, but this is a good starting place. Wow, I am feeling a lot better about being totally fucked. Lots of peace. All right. Time to sign-off, time to get down to it, time to Zen-like, fully embrace me being absolutely Fucked.




6 comments:

Dr Write said...

Not that you will see this comment, but I went to yoga today and my genius teacher talked about the need to Disconnect. Don't commit to anything else; in fact, get rid of at least one commitment per week. The up shot is, just say no.
So I'd say, stick with the yoga and the meditation and the sex (c'mon, no one seriously believes you are going to give up sex. Besides sugar, what else do Mormons have?). Cut way back on the responding to student whatever. Be inaccessible. Work on your own shit. But plan a few hours of nothing.
You have to. Trust me.

Lisa B. said...

Ha, I was going to begin my comment just the way Dr. W did--not that you're going to see this comment . . .

Yeah, I'm hoping that in and among this crazy over-commitment you've got going on here (yeah, it takes one to know one), you're going for a little bit of satire? Definitely you must take care of yourself. Definitely.

Remember, also, with regard to the CCCCs panel, the great power of informed bullshit. Not that your work is remotely this--but the presentation can be, at least a little bit.

Okay, I'm going to work on taking my own advice now. Also, Dr. Write's, hope she doesn't mind.

Counterintuitive said...

You guys are responding like I imagined my mother would :O) Still I appreciate the sentiment.

shane said...

definitely does NOT sound like a "skimpy amount of labor". all the same, i like some of the labor saving devices. i think i'll borrow the grade-every-other essay idea.

Anonymous said...

Ron,
I'm totally fucked, too! So glad I'm not alone in this. And, did you know, we have a theme song? It's called "Totally Fucked" and it's from the awesome Broadway musical "Spring Awakening," which I saw (from the stage! the NY Times took photos of the people who sit on the stage that night, too) in NYC during CCCCs and which I highly recommend. My personal advice? Take a break from the book club. Don't try to survive on Lean Cuisine alone. Think Whole Foods Deli. Exercise! And remember, this, too, shall pass. --E.S.

Counterintuitive said...

I most definitely need a theme called Totally Fucked. How cool is that?

How did you score stage seats? lucky!