Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Anarchists in Cache Valley?

I went to a cousin’s marriage today, one of the few events in which I see another cousin (groom’s brother) who lives in Denver. It generally only takes us a few minutes to go deep. Normally we start talking books or movies and then bump up against some friction or tension. Today I mentioned the PBS special of Jared Diamond’s, IMHO, amazing Guns, Germs and Steel (a book my cousin had recommended a few years back). My cousin said he wasn’t too interested in the PBS special since he’d read the book, plus he disagreed with some of Diamond's work, especially his new book on civilization. He then went on to explain that he is anti-civilization (I had to resist pointing out that he had just given a toast to celebrate his brother’s wedding, THE ritual of civilization) and doesn’t believe we can reform away our problems. His idea is that we must save the planet first and then figure out our own society. A familiar argument, he argues that society has built layers of consciousness thus removing the individual from direct experience with survival and the earth.

After going out to my car to get a phone number (I was in the middle of trying to set up a pick-up for my new bike rack—talk about layers of constructed consciousness and experience), I sought my cousin out again. I still had some fight:

“So, if you are against civilization and believe we have deceived ourselves with self-conscious layers of ‘thinking about life’ then how can you be sure that your anarchist platform is not just another layer, just another feeble human attempt to abstract its way from direct contact with the earth? Do you know what I’m saying?”

“I do. The idea that by telling everyone they need to live in a certain way the anarchist becomes some sort of elitist.”

“Yeah, in part.”

“Well, it’s different than that. What I’m saying is we go back to our individual roots. I mean did you know that in some hunter gather societies people worked for 3-4 hours a day? So are we progressing?”

“I have heard of this before, but still how can this new idea, these ideas of anarchism, pull themselves out of society, outside of consciousness? This sounds like another sort of ‘false consciousness’ move to me.”

“It’s not about telling people what to do but about each individual getting closer to this unmitigated experience. It’s not the group.”

So is my cousin an anarchist? I do respect him. He does, by and large, live his creed. He has turned down full-time and long-term employment so that he isn’t tied to a job. And he uses his time wisely. He’s been to Italy a number of times and to Japan. This next semester he is going to volunteer two weeks in Costa Rica to help out with sea turtles. Also, he will help put on his second play in January, a political satire, run by a very small yet progressive and participatory theatre group in Denver.

And this is amazing. He grew up in Cache Valley; his mom was 15 when she got pregnant with him. Growing up he didn’t seem that interested in academics. He was, though, a very fine wrestler but also, as seems to accompany success in sports, quite cocky and full of himself. I still remember how he told me he could become a better skier than I was after skiing 3 or 4 times (I’d been skiing, taking lessons and racing some for about 6 or 7 years). And now he’s an anarchist. How did he extricate himself from such a masculine small-town mentality?

I’m fairly cynical about society’s ability to reform itself; nonetheless, I think the effort to reform, whether it leads to an absolute reformation, is still worthy of something. I guess I’m a bit of an existentialist in that way—rolling the rock up the hill, even though we know it will come back down, must count for something. And I think our layers of ritual and society do create authentic, albeit imperfect, meaning in our lives. Still, it seems too simplistic to say my cousin is wrong and I’m right. I guess I’m more concerned with how he lives his beliefs and from that perspective he really is a true anarchist.

3 comments:

shane said...

Hey Ron,
I was doing a blog search for anarchists in Denver the other day and imagine my surprise to find this--and then to find out that I was the Cache Valley anarchist!

I don't remember the details of our conversation very well, but if your account is accurate I must not have done a very good job of expressing myself. My anarchism--and yes, I am an anarchist--is primarily a belief about how to create a sustainable way of life; it isn't about returning to our roots, etc. (You can't go home again, right?) Essentially, I'm saying we need to create communities that are dependant on and tied to their immediate landbases (as opposed to civilized communities which depend on conquest and exploitation). I've gone into some detail about this on my own blog: http://asanoutcast.blogspot.com/.
At the same time, I do think we've buried our authentic selves under layers of domesticity (or self-consciousness, as you put it), and while that ties into my anarchism, it isn't essential. It is related to Zen Buddhism, however, which I've been practicing in a sorta half-assed way for about three years, but that's another topic. (See On Instinct and Intelligence on my blog. Also: Clarifications)
I wasn't planning on posting a comment until after I'd seen you, but after I saw my Brother in Law's comment, I changed my mind. I worried you might be embarrassed or something. I hope not. I have to tell you, though, it was a little freaky reading about this Cache Valley anarchist and forming an impression about him, only to realize I was reading about myself--from my cousin's perspective. (Btw, was I really that arrogant?)
Talk to you soon,
Shane
PS: Estoy estudiando Espanol para me viajo. Puede raccomendarme un libro?

Counterintuitive said...

Ok, that's the weirdest blog experience I've had so far. I was like totally worried that I'd written something that might embarrass me. Best I remember that these blogs are public. Plus I just got a comment from your brother-in-law and I have no idea how he found my blog. Very weird.

Yes, as a young kid, you were a bit arrogant as I remember (but we all know about memory; maybe it says more about my skinny red-headed insecurities than your actual arrogance). I do have a very specific memory about how you thought you'd out ski me after a one season--it really pissed me off at the tiime. Still, I was emphasizing your small town masculine sensibility in order to play up your amazing paradigm shifts (sorry for that cliche) and what I see as amazing bravery to embrace the truth you have found.

shane said...

Prob. says something about my skinny dark-haired insecurities, too--the false bravado, that is.