Friday, September 23, 2005

Fall Season Musings

I've decided I need to get into another tv show I can watch with my wife. We are going to watch Westwing and we used to watch Judging Amy but it got lame and now I think it's canceled anyways. So, we tried out My name is Ed. It had some great laughs (e.g. redneck Ed trying to be sensitive, "Are you a homosexual American?") but it was a bit crude at times. Not sure it will work. We also tried Office. It's billed as a comedy but I thought it was, at least this episode, so pathetic that I found myself cringing and feeling bad for the characters the whole show.

Enjoyed the fall change in leaves (didn't enjoy freezing my ass off) as I rode down from the Tour de Suds mountain bike race this past Saturday. It's a 6 mile gut buster climb from Park City to Guardsman's Pass. What a strange race: many people wear costumes as it's the end of the year race and many carry up a beer to finish at the top. I don't mind the beer/laid back feel but it's a bit demoralizing when someone's carrying and drinking a beer and still in front of you. One guy did the race on a single speed bike wearing full length cowboy chaps. He finished just ahead of me--at least he wasn't also drinking a beer. It was a nice way to end my summer of riding.

We've been (well mostly my wife) canning salsa, pasta sauce, peaches and apples. I love canning or, better said, I love canning going on while I'm reading a book in the background. The smells are delicious, fresh, earthy and they represent accomplishment, storing up for the winter, and industry: "It smells like...fall."

6 comments:

middlebrow said...

You need to watch the original Office. It will make you cringe even more.

Dr. Write and Middlebrow kicked off another season of The Apprentice last night.

But my suggestion to you is Scrubs. It's a genuinely smart and funny comedy.

Glad to see you back into blogging.

lis said...

The original Office is genius, hilarious, wonderful. The Americanized version is crap.

Counterintuitive said...

I tried Scrubs a time or two but it didn't catch; maybe I will try it again. I think I like a good (one I just can't miss like Seinfeld or early days of Ali McBeal) comedy or tv show because then I can have a guiltless 30 minutes or an hour of pleasure. Guiltless pleasure: that's really my life's goal.

Lisa B. said...

I agree that the goal of TV is guiltless pleasure. As I've mentioned ad nauseam (sorry!), my current faves are Without a Trace and The O.C.

The British Office is genius, but it still made me cringe. It's a weird kind of comedy, that. I also tried My Name is Earl, and thought I'd give it another shot. I like Jason Lee.

Ditto mbrow's comment about your new blog post.

Dr. Write said...

Yes: I second the original (British) Office and, of course!, Without a Trace.
MB and I are, right now, watching the season premiere of Numbers (it makes math sexy!).
But I have to disagree with lis. I like the American Office. It's different. It's American. And it makes me cringe! Check out the un-pc racial jokes. that's the whole point! (as Son is fond of saying)
If you are in the mood for comedy, have you tried Arrested Development or (can't remember the name: that office comedy with Andy Dick?).

Counterintuitive said...

hearing good things about arrested development--going to check it out though it is during MNF. Very important to get one's fall line-up in order.