Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Golden Compass to 1 Nephi 13 in 5.6 seconds

I meant to write long post about the censorship of the new movie, The Golden Compass, based on Phillip Pullman's spectacular trilogy, His Dark Materials, but I never got around to it. In fact I meant to throw out a post and then revise it and send it in as a letter to the editor. Turns out "my" Mormon stake president found it his duty to have each ward call a special meeting in order to denounce the upcoming movie. I did not attend but heard about it from neighbors who readily admitted that only one person in the group, and it wasn't the stake president, had actually read the books.

It infuriated me because I realized with one fell swoop this myopic stake pres. could wipe out hours and hours of work we had just done in my children's lit class where we read the first book and several articles about the censorship debate--all that thinking, for some young mormon women, would be erased in a flash at such a pronouncement. Anyway, I never wrote that rebuttal, nor put the imagined huge Golden Compass poster in my yard, nor asked for a meeting with said stake president.

But I did get thinking, as I've read several articles about the movie, that mormons really should embrace this film as it takes up an old mormon practice that I participated in while serving a mission in Spain: bashing on Catholics. I mean come on, the mormons have a long-standing tradition of equating the Catholic church with the great and abominable church in 1 Nephi 13. And earlier mormon prophets kicked up the criticism a notch or two:

"Both Catholics and Protestants are nothing less than the "whore of Babylon" whom the Lord denounces..."
- The Seer, Vol.2, No.4, p.255

"The Roman Catholic, Greek, and Protestant church is the great corrupt ecclesiastic power, represented by great Babylon which has made all nations drunk with her wickedness, and she must fall, after she has been warned with the sound of the everlasting gospel.
- Apostle Orson Pratt, Divine Authenticity of the Book of Mormon, p.84 - p.85

So, I'm thinking mormons should be all over this film: "We told you the Catholic church was evil." And what better face of evil for Catholics than the diabolically cunning face of Nicole Kidman?? If I were a believing mormon, I'd be sending checks into Pullman, buying up movie tickets, and getting the B of M language out there:

"Yes, this movie may be a bit hard on believers but it is spot on when referring to the abominations of all religions."
"Did you say abominations? Does it say that in the film?"
"Yes, I did. Not in so many words but basically that's the message. If you want a more clear criticism let me show you an ancient book of revelations from the Americas. The Book of Mormon."

This movie could help missionaries all over the world. A new cutting edge, modern version of the Golden Question, "Have you seen the Golden Compass?" That's much more in vogue than, "Do you want to read the book of mormon?" or "What do you know about the mormon church?" And then they could follow up with, "Do you know which church Nicole Kidman represented in the movie?...would you like to know another name for this church?....great abomination." And boom there are you are sittin pretty and cool talking about 1Nephi 13--modern fantasy epic to the Nephites and Lamanites in the Americas in 5.6 seconds!

What a waste of time thinking about a letter to the editor or my stake president--silly notions of interrogating assumptions and disrupting power and hegemony. What I need to do is take a meeting with someone at the MTC. I can package all this in a small pamphlet and make thousands.

11 comments:

spontaneous expressions said...

Love your snarky post! My son saw a commercial for it and said, it looks like the Narnia Movie. SO wrong my little man. Can't wait to see it.

I was just reading a book about space to my four year old and it talked about Copernicus and the 300year Catholic banning of his book which explained planetary revolutions. I thought about the Golden Compass and efforts at censureship and it makes me a little sad to think that this is still going on. Then again, this is just a fiction novel, not a major scientific discovery. We would never let censureship get in the way of the really important stuff! (although, I have a client who went all the way to China to receive stem cell treatment who might have another opinion on this)

I think what turns me off the most is all that fear. Fear of ideas that are different. Why all the fear?

Anonymous said...

Wow--I haven't heard a Mormon scandal like this since they read that letter from the pulpit asking folks to vote against the gay marriage amendment. Good for you, Ron, for coming to the defense of Phillip Pullman, whose gorgeous trilogy "His Dark Materials" (along with "Lyra's Oxford") are among the finest works it's been my privilege to read. No one writes more poignantly or beautifully about love, including love between men and the endearing love between humans and animals. And isn't love, after all what God is supposed to be about?

Lisa B. said...

As for me and my house, we will be seeing that movie. I found a profile of Pullman from the New Yorker that was very interesting. I read the books purely on the recommendation of a bookstore worker, who suggested it for my kids because they were loving Harry Potter. Of course, I read them first. I will never forget the emotional experience of figuring out what they were planning to do to those children: I was reading in the dead of the night--had to put down the book and sob. There are plenty of writers we read who have no faith or creed. I'm pleased to report that none of my kids seem to be in the least fazed by the controversy. The ones who've read 'em loved 'em, and we're all looking forward to the film.

HH said...

C,
We are going to see it this weekend (you're invited). I have read some of the press on this movie. What do religions have to fear from these books (this movie)? If it challenged Atheism they would be promoting it.I watched the Narnia movie. Does that make me a heretical Atheist? OF course not! Only in a society which promotes reasoned belief will any honesty emerge.

I am slightly disgusted by your S.P. My father and brother are in the Stake Presidencies of thier respective branches. They, both, haved stated that they encourage others to "worship god according to the dictates of their own conscience." They often revel in my worshiping "not at all." I think, because, it reinforces their belief in the 10th article of faith. No matter how much I disagree with their beliefs, they still enjoy the fact that they believe in my right to disbelieve.

Trav (HH)

Counterintuitive said...

The irony of ironies: kids are rarely aware of the debates we have for "their benefit."

Rod said...

I thought the trailer looked interesting. Now that some religious groups don't like it, I'm definitely more inclined to go!

We need something to do over Christmas in Hyrum anyway! Might as well see some movies.

shane said...

Cool post. In the past year or so, I've watched you go from half-assed believer, to non-believer, and now to SARCASTIC non-believer!

Anonymous said...

STG next door here. As one who finds himself a conservative libertarian on political and social issues, I need only look at the first amendment of my beloved U.S. Constitution ("...no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridge the freedom of speech, or the press; or the ...") to see that censorship of the people is not condoned by governments (I am extrapolating freedom of speech and of the press to modern day movies and expressed opinions, etc.); religious leaders have always felt the right to tell their followers what to say, what to watch, who to listen to, what to believe, etc. While we as parents DO rightfully and responsibly act as censor for those things our children are exposed to, do we as adults need other adults to tell us what to watch and what not to watch? I think not. [Thank God I live in America where I can speak freely, and not in the middle east where an Ayatollah would have me lashed 40 times for watching an R rated movie or imprisoned for naming a teddy bear Mohammed.]

I am sure that I am in the minority of my (LDS) religion when I watch whatever movies I want, and I have no problem justifying it. Leaders in all organizations provide direction; we can choose to follow or not follow. Do I have selective "obedience" ? -- yeah, I sure do, and I'm OK with it.

While there are some in this world, perhaps even here posting on this blog site, who seem to want to either put down established religions, point out what's wrong with them, or seek sources of validation for there disbeliefs, I would just suggest that we not be "haters" --- I don't want to be tarred and feathered for being a Mormon; the criticism is getting old. Likewise, probably the biggest issue I have with the LDS church historically is the view of other churches as "abominations" Maybe I'm different kind of Mormon (comes from joining as an adult, not being born into the faith) as I welcome examination of all kinds of beliefs, and the background and/or reasoning of these beliefs, and I'm not going to knock those who have differing beliefs.

People need to lighten up and let others be. It's fiction for Chris's sake !

Counterintuitive said...

Hey, stg--long time no see even though you kind of live next door. I appreciate your *minority* voice ;) and love the for "chris's sake"

HH said...

Ron,

Gotta go with Anonymous here. IT is great to live in a country where it is okay to believe or disbelieve.

Must agree with his sentiment that there are extremes in all systems of understanding.

Must disagree with his martyr role though. Believers are CLEARLY in the majority. I listened to Romney's speech today. It makes me wish to puke when he stated that there is a secular religious movement. It is like saying that there is a movement to make health a "disease."
When anyone with any tolerance asserts that the "golden compass" is anything other than an escape from reality (for 2 hours) they are just making mountains out of molehills.
I love that fact that we can watch what we choose, and that the self-righteous can force only themselves to believe what they do. It is those who seek validation for nonsensical beliefs that must coerce the free to believe anything at all. The rest of us should live and let live.
Just for the record... Joseph Smith was tarred and feathered by other LDS folks. Facts rule.

HH =)

Anonymous said...

Loved the post, Counterintuitive. I must say, for a fantasy film, this has gotten a lot of attention and I'm not at all surprised to see your Stake Prez jump all over it w/o being informed. It's more of a Utah Mormon thing than just a Mormon thing, however. Anyone who doesn't believe me, move out of State for a while.

Utah culture is very, very odd. And I've always found humor in the "counter culture" that exists in this State. People tend to think that since "this" is the way that most people do things, I'm going to do "that" so that everyone knows where I stand. Who gives a rats a$$ where you stand! If it's not going to lead to constructive dialog then why bring it up? Just to strut and say, "look at me, I'm different?" Lame.

Back to the topic at hand, thank you for taking a stand. Hopefully, more people will follow in your footsteps.

Goose