Friday, May 07, 2010

Why we should walk (actually meant to post this yesterday)

I almost asked my wife to follow me in the van down to my local mechanic; I’m so glad I didn’t. On the short half mile walk home I was amazed at what I saw that I miss each day as I drive the same route to work: the refreshing brisk breeze, a mother goose with six tiny goslings, a enormously fat robin, the sound of a beautiful whistling bird which tellingly I do not know the name of, the presence of the wooded land somehow not developed along our neighborhood’s one and only country road.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m abundantly thankful for a cheap efficient car which moves me from place to place in comfort, but I was struck by the unseen, often unfelt price we pay if we unmindfully take advantage of this luxury.

5 comments:

shane said...

oh, nicely and succinctly put.

Clint Gardner said...

Sing it.

JLTan said...

Amen!

We also miss these things if we walk too fast, with our minds occupied with other things. Such a shame, as God created these for us (and Himself) to enjoy.

Nik said...

I was wavering on going on a walk this morning (so much to do), but you sold me.

Antistrophe said...

Reminds me of Thoreau