Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Movies for kids, protecting my time

I was looking at my Netflix list and I'm seeing lots of films for me. Normally that's a good thing but right now it's a bad thing--too much to do with Victor Villanueva SLCC visit, Annie Dillard's Pilgrim Creek for Sept book club, and Doubt: a history (very thick) by Jennifer Hecht for teacher book group (I almost put club but it sounds too chummy and not academic enough). Therefore, I must find good movies for the kids which I can place in the queue, displacing my films (note I watch films not movies) which if they come I will watch, using time I do not have. I will still watch the films for my kids, but I can double count this time as movie/relaxation and family/kid time. Watching a movie with the kids is a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

We've already watched all of Miyazaki's anime films, most Pixar and Disney--actually a few I wish I hadn't seen, many documentaries (March of the P, Fast cheap and out of control, Winged migration, Rivers and Tides); also we've seen a few foreign films--Iranian: Color of Paradise and Children of Heaven, Japanese: Kikujuro, British: Bend it like Beckham, Tibetan: Cup. Old: The gold Rush, Three Stooges. There's got to be more good foreign films for kids; certainly a French film or two, right? And some success with films made for adults: Phantom of the Opera, Walk the line (My 9 year old daughter watched this about 25 times) and a few Hitchcock's.

Well collective mind, what you got for me? What else is out there?

In another vein, my 11 year old son is now able (i.e. we gave up trying to withhold) more adult films. This is a kick, something I hope we can enjoy for many years to come. This past week we watched Bourne Identity and Bourne Supremacy--I wouldn't have rented them again for myself but fun to re-experience the films with my son.

1 comment:

Clint Gardner said...

Do you pronounce it "film" or "filum"? Don't forget to throw "filmic" in there once in awhile too!