Saturday, January 20, 2007

Bair Canyon

In the spirit of cataloguing other wonder winterlands in Davis County, here are some photos from Bair Canyon. BC is just above Fruit Heights, trailhead starting out by a big water tank. Trail eventually takes you to the Radar towers (aka Paul Bunyon's golf balls if in polite company, seen from I-15 and Lagoon). Trail is where the famous Bair Gutsman gutbuster race (14 miles of punishing uphill and pounding downhill) is held each August.

Last Saturday I hiked up to the 2nd river crossing with my wife; on Monday we all (three kids and one friend) hiked to the first bridge. I was hell bent on getting the kids out over the long weekend so we finally, after much debate, went for it even though it was about 20 degrees or so.

We made it to the first bridge with kids in tow and then had chilli and chips in a bag.
The ice never ceased to amaze me:
And I was able to convince my five year old son that it was pretty nifty:
But my 11 year old son going on 16 was not persuaded, "This has got to be the stupidest thing we've ever done." Strange that oldest son was cold only clothed in a light jacket, no gloves, no hat. Seems I can't persuade him of anything much at all lately. But if freezing his ass off is his most dangerous move towards independence, I'm all for it.
Enjoy the snow and ice without the cost and complexities of ski resorts and gear--it's my motto this year.

5 comments:

shane said...

"But if freezing his ass off is his most dangerous move towards independence, I'm all for it."

That's a good one.

Cool pictures. Do you Cross-Country ski? My Dad and I went out over the Holidays. It's a great way to see the winter landscape. I just wish I'd brought my camera.

Lisa B. said...

"Stupidest" is a great word, applicable to all sorts of things. But more power to you, really, for getting the kids outside. Myself, I spent the long weekend inside whining about how cold it was _there_. This is the stupidest weather ever. Love the pics of the ice, though. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

You wouldn't think ice was so neat if you lived out here with us.

Counterintuitive said...

Yeah, I'm into ice as art not ice as big ass storm crashing down trees and shutting down roads: see photos at: http://rodanddarci.blogspot.com/

But the last photo of the tree branches with ice still has some beauty, albeit deadly beauty.

middlebrow said...

It's tough to get Son outside this time of year. Dr. Write took him sledding today, and I took him last weekend.

Beautiful pictures. No doubt you can gloat someday when your son is older and he comes to you and says, "You know dad, you had us do some cool stuff."

At least you can daydream about that.