Sunday, January 28, 2007

Frozen Waterfall

I’ve been meaning to blog for a few days; I have at least four posts I’ve written in my head, but now reality has set in (Sunday night) and I better just get something down rather than waiting till I have time (never) to sculpt four posts.


Continuing with my goal of cataloguing all Davis County hikes this winter, I traversed a trail which starts just as the paved road ends up Farmington canyon. Like all the trails in DC I've been up this one several times but it took me several years of running before I discovered it and I still don't even know its name. I do know that the trail eventually turns to the North and heads up to Sunset Campground. Last weekend I learned that it's beatiful in the winter.









There are a few strangely rickety (Eagle Scout projects?) railings, both ill-placed as there is no big danger here and literally duct tapped together. All the same, nicely quaint.







Here's a prominent rock formation about half way up and the view looking toward the Great Salt Lake.



An unexpected bonus on this hike are the several old cars which have presumably rolled down from the steep switchbacked Farmington road. These cars are great distractions for tired little hikers. Reminds me of the time when I was running down the Farmington Canyon road in the winter (it's kept plowed year round as they have to maintain the radar towers--big white balls above Lagoon) only to find an old station wagon half way off the road. Maybe that's how it happened with this poor car.


Saving the best for last, the hike takes you to an enormous waterfall. Not higher than Adam's Canyon, which is to the north, a waterfall I still need to photograph this winter, but much more water volume.

Here's my first shot taken through the trees which gives some perspective on its bigness. The bluish tint is the completely frozen waterfall.



In order to get a better look, I descended this fairly treacherous descent--the photo doesn't do it justice.




And finally my shot supremo of the 60 foot fall:


I considered crossing the white abyss in front of the fall (a full-flowing river in the summer) but decide against it. Somehow falling through ice and being trapped underneath ice and snow didn't seem appealing. In fact the image haunted me all the way down the mountain.

3 comments:

Lisa B. said...

In light of your decision not to fall through ice and be trapped, I dub you "intuitive." Also "practical" and "able to let fear lead you to rational acts."

Counterintuitive said...

But isn't that counter to my counter-intuitiveness?

What I didn't share is that I did ventur out across the river above the waterfall which probably wasn't too smart. I was so very tempted to walk out to the edge--3 or 4 minutes of indecision--but didn't.

Clint Gardner said...

I really like the winter hike review project.