Saturday, July 14, 2007

July

The traditions of July are in full swing, a time when I can change up the pace a bit.

I upgraded my cable, as I've done the last three years, so I can watch each stage of the Tour de France; today was the first mountain stage, a steep category II climb in the Alps. A young German took the stage and the yellow jersey but tomorrow the real GC (general classification contenders) will probably take back the time he got today. Still, there's no apparent favorite which is exciting, for a change, after seven years of Lance domination and the Landis debacle. I picked yellow beans yesterday and today; today I searched out the first few early beans in barefeet, the dirt and beans working my visceral nerves. In addition to beans we ate delicious summer meal: spinach salad with bacon and homemade red onion dressing and chilled shrimp. On Thursday my six year old Andrew and I rode our bikes five miles to the dentist for our check-up, then ate at Jake's over the top--must dirty up those clean teeth as quickly as possible. Today, Seth (my oldest) and I searched the stacks of on sale shoes at our local Striders (a great privately owned running store btw) and then ate at a great little Thai place next door. Finally, I did 25 miles on the bike yesterday in 100 degree heat--it was great to clean out the old pores. As a bonus I caught last week's This American Life and listened to "Not ready to make nice" by the Dixie Chicks for like the 50th time. Each time I get a charge from "It's a sad sad story that a mother will teach her daughter that she ought to hate a perfect stranger. And how in the world can the words that I said, send somebody so over the edge, that they'd write me a letter, saying that I better shut up and sing, or my life will be over." If that doesn't get you up over a hill, nothing will.

So the summer goes. Even in the heat it feels quite refreshing.

5 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Happy post--it all sounds good. Doing something with your kids always makes a summer good, I think.

Counterintuitive said...

Yeah, the negativity almost slipped in (cul de sac kids running through my house) but I deleted it.

spontaneous expressions said...

Is that a documentary or a podcast (the Dixie chicks)? I've heard you to refer to this quite a bit and my curiousity is piqued. Sounds like it had a powerful effect on you.

Counterintuitive said...

I watched the documentary awhile back but here I'm just referring to their "not ready to make nice" song.

HH said...

I am interested in your seeminly new enthusiasm for cycling. Is Running out?

I, too, listen to the Dixie Chicks every time I need a rush.

Been lifting weights of late (Braxton started and; I just couldn't let him outgrow me before his due time). I am generally on the last set or two, and am about to blow a vein wide open, when it comes on my ipod (love the ipod "playlists" feature).

Best,
HH/Trav