Monday, July 30, 2007

Serendipity Supremo

Sometimes things work out much better than you could ever imagine—serendipity supremo. I’m cycling through Kaysville today coming back from a short yet fairly intense 30 miler. I’m at about mile 27 and it’s 100 degrees. Before my ride I spent 10 hrs in the sun at Lagoon—I’m wasted, very ready to be home. As I come up to a 4-way stop I slow down as a big truck pulls up to the side of me. A young male leans out of the window, “Hey asshole get on the sidewalk.”

It’s too much. I just can’t leave it alone. I look right back at him, my 130 pound ectomorph body glistening with sweat, “What did you say?” For a split second, seeming like minutes, I’m not sure what to do next. Then from somewhere, “Do you want to make something of this?” Shit, did I just actually say that? Luckily I’m saved by the one thing you could never hope for, could never imagine, could never even dream of…as I edge ahead of the truck, a Davis County Sherriff appears above their hood stopped on the other side of the 4-way. Without pause, as if planned, I point to the Sheriff, “Do you want to take this up with him?”

The sheriff turns his lights on and pulls the truck over. I recount what happened; he has me wait by his truck.

He returns, “Just a bunch of dumbass kids.”
“I figured. It’s just everyone seems to take pot shots at us ya know.”
“I’ll chew ‘em out good” he says fingering the two driver’s licenses his holding.

The adrenalin carries me at 24 mph all the way home.

6 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Ah, a delicious testosterone-adrenalin cocktail, with a twist of good luck. (But really, glad it turned out okay!)

Anonymous said...

Don't try that with the rednecks around here, they'll take you up on your offer, cop or not.

About 7-10 years ago in Valmeyer a prominent (quite wealthy) farmer ran into the back of a woman (with his GMC Suburban) who was biking with some friends on a busy country road. She had previously said some comment to him at the tavern while she was stopped for a water break (while he was pounding beer and giving her trouble about riding in "his" area). He drove really close to her back tire for about a quarter mile, then started ramming her. After he knocked her off the bike, he got out and punched her a few times, threw her wrecked bike in a ravine and drove off.

He was later arrested, and when he went to local court, he got barely a slap on the wrist (the judge was a sympathizer). Now it's just a big joke with him and his redneck tavern farmer buddies.

I also had a guy want to fight me over a seat in a movie theater when he showed up to a premiere on a Saturday night 15 minutes late. He wanted 4 people to move to fit him and his wife in.

People are ridiculous.

Counterintuitive said...

Unfortunately that kind of thing happens here in Utah too, but maybe not as often as in S. Illinois--you get the prize for crazy rednecks. See the story and opportunity to help them out below.

***

Ride For Marty! August 4th

On Sunday, June 17th around 2 a.m. Marty and his wife, Nicki Kasteler, were enjoying a nighttime bicycle ride home after visiting friends. As they approached the intersection of 600 East and 2460 South, an older white delivery truck almost ran them off the road. At which point Marty slapped the side of the van alerting the driver that cyclists were in their blind spot. Instead of yielding, the driver did something none of us can rationalize or understand. They turned around and intentionally ran over Marty. They then crashed into a steel railing, backed up and sped off leaving Marty for dead with his wife looking on in horror. The van and driver are still at large. Marty's injuries are substantial.

Saturday, Aug.4 - Ride for Marty. Three-mile cruise starting and ending at east side of Liberty Park. Raffle and silent auction. $10 suggested donation. All monies go to help Marty Kasteler, who was intentionally run down by a truck in June. 5:15 p.m. registration, 6 p.m. FREE T-Shirts for the first 50 registrants) There is a suggested $10.00 donation to be in the ride. There will also be a raffle and silent auction for items donated by: Oakley, Smith, Ryder, Specialized, Trek, Ryka, Local Bikeshops and Restaurants, Landis, and others.

Every penny from this benefit will be donated to Marty and Nikki Kasteler

For more info on the ride and the accident: http://www.helpmarty.org (801) 532-0554, jaredmendenhall@hotmail.com

HH said...

5 little letters: l-u-c-k-y! That would have NEVER happened for me. I would have verbally assaulted the idiots, they would have turned around and assaulted me, and I would have accepted the beating in as manly a way as possible. An old song some so to mind, "if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all."

Glad the officer put the kibosh on their stupidity. Police are under-appreicated I think.

Best,

HH/Trav

shane said...

I love a happy ending!

Yes, the cops can be useful at times. Here in Denver, though, the cops have been harrassing members of Critical Mass, a group of bikers who take to the streets once a month to call attention to the negative treatment of bikers in the city.

I also remember being pulled over by a cop in Providence Utah for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign, although I could see for miles in both directions long before reaching the intersection.

I think it's time for a new post. What's the matter? Are you enjoying your summer or something?

Counterintuitive said...

I just read a letter to the editor complaining that cyclists do not have to obey the same rules as motorists nor pay taxes. People don't understand that riding a bike is very different, as you say there is no reason to have a bike which is probably only going 15 to 18MPH (i.e. cyclists don't approach an intersection at a fast rate) and has nothing blocking its vision to make a full stop at a stop sign.