Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Living Live

Tonight I'm taking the kids to see Cold Creek, a bluegrass band from Utah County. I need a motto for the summer or maybe the year. Something like Live Local Live or Live helps you Live. Ok, so maybe I don't need a motto. What I want is to continue seeing live performances, particularly of local stuff and/or in local/small venues. To that end, Cold Creek tonight, then Kansas at our very own local amphitheater in August; and either this summer or the next, I want to do the Shakespeare Festival with the kids. Also, and dang it I meant to order tickets to someone, I want to see something at Red Butte. Finally, for the year, David Sedaris in October (that's without the kids).

There's something about live performance that rejuvenates me; somehow while focusing on getting degrees, family, running, paying the mortgage etc. I let a million live shows pass me by. At least this one ain't getting by tonight.

6 comments:

Dr Write said...

Get tickets to Alejandro Escovedo. He rocks!!!

Rod said...

We always enjoy seeing bluegrass bands live. I haven't been a concert or live show in ages. Of course, I got an overdose of live music in college when I worked in radio, and the years following when I was in different rock bands.

Hence why my hearing is total crap now.

Lisa B. said...

I have a little list of concerts I regret having missed, dating back to my youth, when I could have seen Bob Dylan but I didn't go because it was the Sabbath (of our Lord), ranging to REM (but it was at the D-Center, and I hate the D-Center for concerts). Alas. Good for you for going live--no time like the present.

shane said...

sounds fun. i´ve developed a real taste for bluegrass. right before i left on my trip, i saw three different bluegrass concerts and we had a bluegrass band stay at the house for a week. and i didn´t get sick of it! not only that, but, for whatever reason--maybe it´s my hick roots--i don´t look like a total idiot dancing to bluegrass.

do you know of a group called Railroad Earth? if not, you should check out their myspace page.

spontaneous expressions said...

Last Friday (the "4th")...we went to what I thought would be a lame parade in Sandy. I was right about the parade...but as it was parading...I heard a Bluegrass Band warming up which led me to believe that maybe there might be something to salvage that night. My family (extended and nuclear) moved onto to the hillside of a nearby high school to stake out a place for the fireworks display while I stayed behind, alone, and watched Cold Creek do their magic. I loved it completely. I didn't care, in fact I think it made it all that much better, that I was alone. The banjo player is a guy I worked with at REI. He used to play for us at work parties. He had an endearing stutter. Probably still does. He also shore can' play dat banjo!!!

Counterintuitive said...

Cold Creek is popping up everywhere.