Thursday, November 25, 2010

The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance

A hilarious memoir by Elna Baker. As always I'm probably late to the party, but if my ex/non/less active mormon friends haven't read this you should because you will laugh and most certainly find connections with her struggles to be a "faithful" mormon; and my anti/non/living in utah friends should read her memoir because it should help humanize mormons who seem to do crazy things (like not having sex until they are married).

It's certainly the most rukous, honest, over-the-edge writing I've ever read by a practicing mormon. For example while staring into those funky amusement park mirrors, ones which made her look 80lbs skinnier, she says, "For the first time, I had a sweet spirit and a sweet ass." Now that's the best double entendre of the Mormon "sweet" that I've ever read.

Other highlights:

*Comparing a patriarchal blessing to Keannu Reeves visiting the Oracles in the Matrix

*A description of how she used the "Fascinating Girl" (a book it seems many young Mormon girls were given which instructs them on how to please men through submission; my wife received a copy from her grandmother but I don't think it worked) to help her get a mormon boyfriend

*while getting hot and heavy with her atheist boyfriend she suddenly, unintentionally whispers in his ear "you need to pray and find out if god exists" which she later subscribes to her struggle with God Tourette's syndrome.

5 comments:

Lisa B. said...

that last one is hilarious. I believe that I have had a God Tourette's episode or two in my time. (not this variety, however.)

lis said...

I should read this. the fascinating girl? wow, definitely going to ckeck that out.

shane said...

okay, i'm sold. let me know if you have an extra copy!

SH said...

Can't wait to read it!

SH said...

I'm slowly catching up on my blog reading. Your recent proliferation has put me way behind. But I did want to say, in case you didn't know, this author was featured on TAL on Dec 5, she tells a good story. If you haven't downloaded it soon, it might be too late. (they archive their podcasts asap)