Friday, December 23, 2005

Reading from the stacks

Speaking of reading (see Unhip) I finally got some done today after many holiday break setbacks: remodeling kitchen, stomach flu, remodeling kitchen, family get-togethers, remodeling kitchen, and, you guessed it, remodeling kitchen. I read several articles for my upcoming class on language in society and the intro and first few pages from Tannen's You just don't understand; I started Cormac McCarthy's The Crossing(I packed this book without reading a page—I may have read the first paragraph a few times—all through the Uinta mts) which I'm excited to read: my one fiction indulgence of the break and I know I will enjoy it as I loved All the Pretty Horses and the first few pages have already created a real sense, the kind that immediately takes hold in one's mind, of rugged ranch life; and, after weeks of it staring me in the face, I finished "Jesus without the miracles" by Erik Reece in December's Harper's.

I knew I needed to read this article and I'm glad I did as it brought together many ideas I've bumped up against and thought about: the Gospel of Thomas which focuses on Jesus as a philosopher and mystic rather than his miracles and godliness; Jefferson's Bible which cut out the miracles, resurrection and such--I didn't know about his redaction but was aware of the oversimplification many Christians make by asserting that we need to return to the faith and belief in God of the Founding Fathers; “eastern” feel of early Christianity; Elaine Pagel’s work with the Gnostic gospels. Of course Reece, who blames organized religion, in part, for he father's suicide, contends that we must choose the philosopher Jesus of this world, the Jesus of Thomas and the Jesus and America (rather than of Hamilton) of Jefferson. He ends the article by inverting Pascal's famous wager: we should not believe in "heaven because we have nothing to lose but rather [...] we should believe first in the world, because in losing it we may lose everything." In short, important stuff for reinventing Christianity and my own faith.

I guess I better go check on the kids. I’m supposed to be watching them but I couldn’t pass up these few quiet hours even if I wasn’t exactly sure where they were—surely they’re ok and certainly their lives will be enriched by the reading I’ve finally done. Remaining on the stacks: to finish--Jared Diamond’s Collapse: How societies choose to fail or succeed, David Quammen’s Monster’s of God, Ahmed’s A border passage, Nafisi’s Reading Lolita in Tehran, several articles in Harper’s; to start—Moore’s The stupidest angel, Cunningham’s The hours, and one of the latest books by David Sedaris. I think there are several more I started and/or was going to start but I believe my wife has slowly worked them out of the stacks onto shelves, possibly forever lost to my reading life.

5 comments:

middlebrow said...

Good god (or is that God?). Everyone's having deep thoughts over break. I've managed to watch a lot of football, a sport a care nothing about--and play a lot of half court b-ball (a sport I love). I also had a wondeful whiskey, brandy, egg nog conconction last night. Ymmm.

Dr. Write said...

Save yourself some time: read the first chapter of _Reading Lolita_ and then just put it down. It's good, but basically the whole book repeats the same premise with no new information or insights. Sometimes a good article is just a good article, not a book.

Lisa B. said...

Re: Dr. Write's advice: wow, this is why it's so valuable to have well-read friends. I often go further, and feel that if I've read _about_ the book, I've pretty much read it. That's an insight into my intellectual life, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Ron,
Thanks for the reading suggestion. I read "Jesus without the miracles" by Erik Reece. I printed it off for Shane Petersen, but never got around to handing it off to him. I have little knowlege of the Thomist gospel, but have read Jefferson's Bible. Altough I am certainly not a "fringe" anything, I really think you and I should chat more often. Angie and Shane talk very highly of you. See you 'round the Mackey campfire.

Travis L>

Norene Griffin said...

After I read The Hours, I went back and read Mrs. Dalloway for the first time. What a book, Mrs. Dalloway. Incredible. Woolf was a genius.

Interesting reading list.

I'd like to hear what you think about Collapse.