Friday, March 09, 2007

Rock Stars

Every few minutes there is yet another knock at the door. I do not get up after the first one; I merely yell “they’re downstairs” and point. Music keeps wafting up through the heating vent: a few drum beats, a riff on the guitar, a mixture of something which approximates music. Somehow I have a bunch of pre-teens rocking out in my basement. I’m not sure how this happened. I mean, I’m just a young 130 lb. male trying to get some work done; there’s no way I am capable of being responsible for 425 lbs of stringy, sweaty, pre-pubescents. Surely I didn’t have anything to do with creating this commotion, right? I mean…it can’t be time yet. All too soon there will be girls, pimples, making-out, driving lessons...

Shit, somewhere along the way I really screwed up.

7 comments:

Lisa B. said...

I remember turning my whole house over to a film crew made up in part by my son's friends. Was this wise? The problem with kids is, they think that _your_ house is _their_ house, too.

Dr. Write said...

I think this is a good development. In my mind, if they are in the basement making music there are a whole host of unmentionable things they are _not_ doing. And I will be glad. Plus bands are cool. Chicks dig em.

middlebrow said...

I don't think Dr. Write realizes that this is exactly the problem that worries counterintuitive: chicks dig em.

Dr. Write and I have decided to keep Son from dating until he's, oh I don't know, twenty-five years old.

Counterintuitive said...

Thanks MB--my sentiments exactly.

I do like the whole band thing it just doesn't seem that I'm old or "substantial" enough to be dealing with all of this already.

HH said...

Okay... add 20 lbs... make the downstairs- upstairs and we are living the same life. This is where drinking and denial come in very handy. If I just keep typing with my ipod playing loud enough I am all but certain that my sweet little 3-year daughter will come downstairs to give me hug and ask for a cookie... We may need a little cheese to go with our wine...

Trav

Counterintuitive said...

I could use a solid dose of drinking and denial but genetics are getting the way: I have weak gut and I come from a long line of worriers.

stg72861 said...

The real trouble begins when Son's friends are over at the house and start showing a strong interest in Daughter, who is only a couple years younger. This will happen in about 3-4 years.