Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Sloughing off of desire

I'm not writing in my own or reading many blogs these days. It was not a conscious decision; rather, instead, a slow sloughing of desire for inside/computer things and an increase in desire for outdoor/cycling/hiking/gardening activities.

Still, I do check into the blogging world on occasion--just read (though didn't comment) a great post from HT Mega and the Cold cold north.

Maybe I will get revved up about blogging or possibly it will fade into that distant past of "things I used to do." Either way, I am certainly glad I started a blog several years back.

It was at a crucial moment for me--negotiating and constructing an identity not tied to the rules and regs of Mormonism. But that main purpose is now less pressing and, for all my good intentions, I doubt I will every fully develop a blog for the people as some of my friends have done. Seems I am in the majority of bloggers who ebb and flow according to personal needs and circumstances; a rare blogger it is who creates a robust consistent public persona like HT Mega or Signifying Nothing.

Most of us our content with the ebb and flowing, personal rants, lists and occasional deep reflections. Which is fine too (i.e. no criticism intended). Merely interesting to note, for me, our different motivations for making our writing public. In intend no hierarchy of blogging. I could now go all scholarly here with a bit of work but I think not. If I did I might contradict the entire tenor of my post--the sloughing off of desire.

3 comments:

middlebrow said...

I'm with you counterintuitive; I just can't seem to muster the energy to sustain the blog anymore. I still check up on the blogs, though not as often as I used to. I think this is the first comment I've left in awhile.

Now off to go camping.

Clint Gardner said...

I just use projects that seem like blogging. I don't think I actually have written anything longer than two sentences in a month on the damn thing.

By the way, you should add a poem of your choice to the Mobile Poetry project: "Call +1801-930-0674 identify the title of your poem and its author and then recite the poem."

This will then make you feel like you have accomplished some blogging task. The value added is that you can call from nearly anywhere. I'm thinking, for example, of going for a hike and calling in a Gary Snyder poem.

shane said...

oh, i can relate. i've enjoyed reading, though.