Saturday, July 18, 2009

Biking the Legacy Parkway

This year I bought my then 7 year old a $250 bike, something many think crazy. But I knew I'd want him on a good bike this year. Why? Because I knew he was willing to do what he did yesterday: wake up at 6am and pound out near 20 miles on the Legacy bike trail.



Here's take off at the Frontrunner Lagoon station:

Here's our first little break after about 7 miles:


And here's my cool looking self:


And here's a strange sight--cowboys and cyclists chattin it up:



Andrew liked the tunnels:



All and all a great little Friday morning ride. Only one tiny struggle in the last mile or so when Andrew's butt started to hurt him a bit, but he pushed it to the very end.

Our next cycling challenge? I'm not sure. He's in that in-between stage where he needs quite a bit for a challenge (maybe we will come back here and do the entire trail which would be about 25 miles) but where he can't really do true mt biking quite yet. We did a few miles on Antelope island which was a bit frustrating for him (the sand and long hills); still a good experience.

Soon, maybe this summer, I will take him on a short slightly downhill single track by Snowbasin. Probably should wait till next yr as I always tend to overestimate skill level--just ask my oldest son.

5 comments:

middlebrow said...

Great pics. Looks like it was a fun ride. Mountain biking is something I want to get into in the future. Of course, you will be my consultant.

Lisa B. said...

Those are some big miles for such a little guy. Pretty great work, both son and dad.

Anonymous said...

Where's your yellow Jersey?

Counterintuitive said...

I should be well into Yellow by next week.

Antistrophe said...

Impressive ride. Great pictures!