Monday, July 20, 2009

Going to Satan

I stayed home from church yesterday so I could hit the grocery store and cook some lunch (ok, and so I could watch the Tour de France). As it is hard to prepare a mostly vegetarian meal, I was still preparing when the family got home. Immediately Andrew, our 8 year old, started in on me:

"Dad I'm worried about you. Didn't you used to teach that class in church?"

"Yeah."

"Well, you don't go to church very much anymore."

"Nope I don't."

"We talked about it today. If you don't go to church you will go to Satan."

"Oh, really. Where did you learn that?"

"In primary."

"Hmm."

"Yeah, you need to go to church so you don't go to Satan."

"Do you think I'm a good person?"

"Sure dad. I love you more than anything."

"Thanks. I think I will be all right then."


4 comments:

Dr Write said...

I want to go to Satan. I hear he has good snacks.
(also: aww! he loves you more than anything. Better than fine!)

HH said...

I just love the way you calmly handle such circumstances. My response would have been a 30 minute, rationalist refutation; followed by an, even longer, emotional rant, followed by weeks of apologizing.

I would prefer the, "I love you more than anything" response.

Keep teaching,
HH =)

Lisa B. said...

"Going to Satan"--what a hilarious expression.

Well-played there, Dad. And how very sweet.

Antistrophe said...

Sweet, sad and funny. Well played on your part.