Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Going to Satan II: Responses to my earring


Youngest son: Why did you do that? You are a boy.
Me: You do know lots of men have earrings.
Youngest son: I know but that doesn't mean you had to get one.

Sister: Are you going through a midlife crisis?

Mom: Why would you go and do something like that? You fool!

Wife: Shit, he actually did it (after she saw the piercing solution and earrings on the counter I'd intentionally left out so she could work through any issues before I got home from work--she'd been out of town)

Oldest son: Reaching up to pull it out, "You didn't. Come on. That's not real."

Daughter: What's that in your ear?
Me: an earring
Daughter: Why did you do that?
Me: I like the look.
Daughter: No you didn't.

Just about everyboy else: silence and nervous eye twitches looking away from ear

10 comments:

Darci said...

I like it! It gives you a good look. I think you should pierce the other one too:)

Rod said...

I gave you a smile and shared my memories about the earring I had in junior high school. Considering your age and where you live, it was a pretty brave thing to do. Not quite as courageous as the tongue piercing I had in college. At least I'm glad I did that instead of getting a tattoo. The tongue piercing took all of 3 hours to close up.

Now if you were really cool, you'd get a ginormous fake diamond earring to wear and start listening to hip hop. Maybe I'll hook you up for Christmas.

Lisa B. said...

Be a man and post a picture, dammit.

Counterintuitive said...

I did think of both of your responses but they didn't fit into my "going to satan" theme--literary license you know. And to be fair my neighbor, Steve, also had a fairly positive/neutral response.

lis said...

yeah, where's the picture?

Clint Gardner said...

Now this is an amusing anecdote.

Did I tell you last week I was shocked to find out that Baptists still don't condone dancing at weddings?

HH said...

Now... put a scarf on your head. Get a giant saber and parrot. You can be Sinbad. Avast ye matey!

I, too, am in favor of picture.

Trav

Dr Write said...

Get some bling and then I'll be shocked. And, to be fair, I haven't seen it, so I haven't been able to respond. I look forward to student responses....

middlebrow said...

1. Post a picture.
2. When are you getting the tattoo?

Antistrophe said...

I highly recommend tattoos and multiple piercings. I know some people....